I know what you’re thinking: Why does the internet need another food blog? Isn’t it full enough with blogs on every type of ethnic, gluten-free, vegan, everything meat, bake-everything-with-butter, chocolate living, clean eating, and any other category of food you could possibly want?
My approach to cooking is what fits my lifestyle:
- I eat only kosher.
- I am a busy mom with limited time to cook and
- a bunch of little picky eaters.
- When my kids want to eat, they want to eat NOW.
- I’m cooking on a budget and therefore try to keep my ingredients list cheap.
- I love fresh produce, which is seasonal and delicious in Israel. My kids, less so. But I try to sneak veggies into them any opportunity I get. A few weeks ago, I actually got my pickiest child to eat avocado because I disguised it as chocolate frosting/mousse. (Recipe coming soon!)
- Margarine and nondairy creamer are banned from entering my house.
- I often come across healthy recipes that look delicious, but they include ingredients that are either hard to find or very expensive (at least in Israel).
- I measure like your grandmother probably does–a pinch of this, a dash of that, etc. In fact, my PYREX measuring cup shattered about a week ago. And I have managed without it (though I am planning on getting another one). This works much better for cooking than baking, by the way.
So…I’m sharing my fast, fresh, healthy, Israeli-friendly cooking with the blogosphere. Along with recipes, you’ll find explanations of specific ingredients, shopping tips, and other advice on family-friendly cooking in Israel.
Welcome! I hope you enjoy!